Monday, June 8, 2015

Going Tech Free


For part of my Technology & Literacy class, we were assigned to go tech free. Yes, I'm in the midst of a demanding PhD program, yes, I'm 1,000 miles away from my 5 children, and yes, I was not very excited about this, but yes, I did attempt it.  I decided to undertake this gargantuan task on Saturday. Knowing the kids would be at their dad's, I hoped my absence wouldn't be felt quite as much. That wasn't the case. I found that I needed to talk with them every bit as much as they needed to talk with me. Interesting. Here are some other more interesting things I learned from this process:
  • I use technology more than I think. The apartment felt empty without music playing. Once "in the groove" with my work I didn't miss it as much, but as I emerged from periods of intense concentration I found myself distracted with outside noises and it seemed to take longer for me to get back into submerged concentration.
  • I found that without getting sidetracked in the morning with emails and assignments, I was able to enjoy a guilt-free walk. Knowing I wasn't "allowed" to use technology I thought a walk was in order.  Until, however, I couldn't listen to music.  My walk was definitely shorter and slower then originally planned, but it was a good time to think.
  • I still love to read books. I spent some time reading a book I brought with me and enjoyed curling up on the sofa to read it for a bit.  If I would have had a cat or dog to snuggle up next to me it would have been perfect.  And maybe a little music playing.
  • I might have an amazon.com addition. Perhaps. Maybe. sigh.
I journaled the actual experience, here's how it went:

9:21 am – I’ve decided to modify this assignment to fit my reality.  Being a single mom of five kids more than 1,000 miles away, I’m not willing to tell them they can’t text me or Skype me when they miss me or need to talk with me. So, I’ve decided to fast from social media and technology for entertainment/purchases.  This should help me be more productive in my coursework today, as well as help my budget.

9:47 am – just finished a hilarious text chain with my sister, so I guess I’m adding my siblings and mom to the list of people it’s ok for me to communicate with technologically.  I know; I’m really pushing the boundaries of this assignment.

10:03 am – trying to work without Spotify.  Really hard.  I like listening to music while I read/write.  Opened up the windows. It’s gorgeous outside and I’m hoping the breeze and birds chirping will help me stay focused (and that the cars passing by and sirens blaring won’t be too distracting).

12:01 pm – Surviving. I’m working on a paper so I’m online referencing articles, but I’m avoiding FB and other social websites. I have accessed email to reply to a message from a professor and to reach out to a colleague regarding the paper I’m writing, but I’m trying to “limit enjoyment,” which seems like a really odd thing to do. Yes, I’m using technology, but not having any fun which means that I must be doing this assignment “right.”   Hmm.  I think I could write another paper just on that.

4:40 pm – Just got back from a trip to Wal-Mart. Had to use my ATM card, so I’ve used technology again. But I did didn’t enjoy – in fact, it caused me great pain – so that doesn’t count then, right?  I’ve been pretty productive, I’ve worked on my paper for Bizzaro’s class. It’s morphing into a bigger paper then he assigned, but I like where it’s heading. I’ve used JSTOR and EBSCO to find the supporting articles I need, but I haven’t used any social media or general news sites or just surfed the web to find information on whatever thought or curiosity peaks my attention.  In some ways it’s good, enabling me to focus, but in other ways it’s just annoying.

5:27 pm – and the unofficial technology fast is officially over. My asthma is acting up and I had to order a nebulizer from Amazon now so it could be here Monday. This shortness of breath is driving me crazy.

The technology fast was easy in some respects, and hard in others.  It was easier to focus on my work knowing that I couldn’t get distracted over FB or just surfing the web for whatever thought fluttered past my mind. But it was hard too. I missed listening to music while I read and write (Spotify is back on, ahh). I’m so used to having any information I need at my fingertips it was frustrating to not be able to access it.  And, let’s fact it, I couldn’t/wouldn’t even consider cutting-off myself from my kids, so yes, I think it’s quite safe to say that I incorporate technology in almost every aspect of my life and I miss it when it’s gone.

2 comments:

  1. Nice work, Debbie. It's interesting to me since I have five kids like you do, just how technology has infiltrated parenting, making itself synonymous with good parenting in many ways. At this distance from family, it truly creates the connection that would be missed otherwise. Paradoxically though, it allows me (and you) to even contemplate taking on a program like this one where we are removed physically from our families since we know that connection will be there, so in on way it creates the distance we experience while also creating the connection that spans that distance. It's truly a mixed blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your description of going tech-free for a day as a "fast" is exactly right! We are fasting, depriving ourselves of something we need and want in our lives. I think there are times when it is easier to go tech-free, even if we don't actually plan it. Of course, if and when we are compelled to do so, it can be very frustrating.

    ReplyDelete