Tuesday, June 9, 2015

What is Literacy?

Literacy, to be literate, is to be able to use the written and spoken word to communicate clearly within a social discourse. It's a form of power. If you can't successfully operate or navigate within your discourse, you are powerless to change it.  Street made a comment about this we he discussed teaching people to read versus teaching people to write. He commented that when we teach people to read they can only read what they have been given. When we teach people to write, they can contribute their thoughts to the world. That really had an impact on me. It made me feel greater appreciation for teaching students to write well. It helped me understand why I care so much about my job and my students.  I know that to be successful - in whatever you do - you must be heard and you must be able to contribute to the discussion going on. Teaching students to think critically, teaching them to use language to communicate effectively - in a way that can be understood - truly helps every aspect of their life.  It makes a difference, and maybe when my students begin to use their  power to make a difference, then I do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment